Amazon is one of the most popular online retailers in the UK, offering competitive prices, fast delivery, and excellent customer service. As a frequent Amazon shopper myself, I've discovered several clever tricks over the years to get the best deals and save money on my purchases.
In this guide, I'll share 8 proven ways to get discounts, earn cashback, find deals, and maximize savings when shopping on Amazon as a UK customer.
1. Take Advantage of Amazon Prime Student
One of the best ways for university students to save money on Amazon is to sign up for Amazon Prime Student. This offers a 6-month free trial followed by Prime membership at half price – just £3.99 per month.
Prime Student gives you all the regular Prime benefits like fast unlimited delivery, access to Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime Reading, and more. As a Prime member, you'll also get early access to lightning deals and discounts on Prime Day.
Signing up is easy if you have a university email address. The free trial alone will allow you to take advantage of Prime savings and perks for half a year without paying a penny.
2. Use Amazon Coupons
Amazon offers coupons across multiple product categories that you can easily clip to your account and apply at checkout.
Coupons are clearly marked on eligible product pages with a percentage or amount off. Savings can range from 5% to 20% off or more.
Some tips for using Amazon coupons effectively:
- Check the Today's Deals page and Gold Box for coupons on discounted items to stack your savings.
- Clip coupons ahead of time for products you want so they are ready to use later.
- Coupons have expiration dates so be sure to use them in time.
- Watch for coupons on household essentials, personal care items, and other products you buy regularly.
Taking just a minute to look for coupons before purchasing can lead to big savings over time.
3. Use the Amazon Assistant Browser Extension
The Amazon Assistant browser extension allows you to watch for price drops, compare prices across retailers, and get notified of deals and coupons.
Once installed, the extension can:
- Automatically surface relevant coupons when you visit Amazon.
- Show price history charts so you can buy at the right time.
- Compare Amazon's price against other major retailers.
- Alert you when watched items go on sale.
Having quick access to this information right on Amazon product pages makes it easier to find the best deal with just a glance.
The extension works on Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge so you can use it while shopping on your laptop or desktop.
4. Check Amazon Warehouse for Open Box Deals
Electronics, home goods, kitchen appliances, toys, and more – Amazon Warehouse has thousands of used and open box items at discounted prices.
Products are pre-owned customer returns or open box items that have been inspected and tested by Amazon. You can find discounts up to 30% or more compared to the price of brand new.
However, stock is limited as items are resold individually. Here are some tips for scoring Warehouse deals:
- Check frequently for newly listed inventory.
- Use the filters to browse by category or condition rating.
- Add items to your Watch List to track new offers.
- Focus on “Like New” or “Very Good” condition items.
- Act fast, especially on hot ticket items.
As long as you don't mind used or open box products, Warehouse deals are a smart way to save on Amazon purchases.
5. Use Cashback Sites and Browser Extensions
Cashback sites offer a percentage of your purchase amount back in cash rewards when you click through them to shop on Amazon. Popular UK cashback portals include TopCashback, Quidco, and Airtime Rewards.
Most offer between 1-10% cashback for Amazon purchases. The rate depends on the specific category or item.
Browser extensions like Honey also apply automatic coupon codes at checkout and provide cashback opportunities.
Be sure to read the terms on cashback sites as they vary. Most will track your order for a set number of days before adding your cash reward.
6. Sign Up for Amazon Family
Amazon Family provides exclusive discounts for households with children. Members get 20% off diapers and other baby care essentials.
You can also earn a 15% completion discount for creating a baby registry. Other family-focused savings include discounts on STEM toys, kids books, and more.
The program is free to join. As an added bonus, members get extended return windows on most Amazon purchases in case the little ones don't like their gifts!
7. Shop Amazon Outlet, Overstock, and Clearance
Just like shopping the clearance aisle in stores, you can find marked down items in Amazon Outlet, Overstock, and the Clearance section.
Amazon Outlet features overstock inventory and other discounted items across categories like home, kitchen, electronics, and clothing.
Overstock is similar but focuses on sellers liquidating their inventory at reduced prices.
Meanwhile, Clearance includes short-term deals on apparel, accessories, shoes, jewelry, and more.
Sort and filter to dig up the best bargains across these discounted sections. Check back often for new deals.
8. Use the Amazon Shopping App
The Amazon app makes it easy to save on the go with features like:
- Mobile coupons – Browse coupons and easily apply them in your cart or at checkout.
- Deal alerts – Get notified when items on your Wish List go on sale.
- Amazon Assistant – Scan barcodes and compare prices across retailers.
- Cart tracking – Get alerts if the price goes down on items in your cart.
With mobile access to these helpful shopping tools, you can hunt for savings no matter where you are.
The app also lets you set Watch List alerts and view order history easily from your smartphone.